At christmas time I wanted to give Nikita and Chris something, but I was (am) on a seriously tight budget. So, since they are both total cookie monsters I did the obvious thing and baked them some cookies. I don't remember which kinds I made but one does stick out because they LOVED them and early on they became a Dessert Night staple. So last night we hung out, ate sugar cookies and watched some Braveheart. Remember the days before Mel Gibson was a psychopath? That movie is epic.
These sugar cookies are super simple, and SUPER delicious.
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in egg and vanilla.
- Gradually blend in the dry ingredients.
- Roll rounded teaspoonfuls of dough into balls, and place onto ungreased cookie sheets and flatten slightly (I also roll the dough balls in sugar before putting them on the sheet)
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden. Let stand on cookie sheet two minutes before removing to cool on wire racks.
On Thursday night, Nikita and I also went out and saw What to Expect When You're Expecting. It was pretty funny, and totally heightened my fear of ever experiencing pregnancy and childbirth!!