We are back on track now and had a delicious dinner and dessert last night. We had Four Cheese Stuffed Pasta and Roasted Garlic Potatoes for dinner and Tiramisu for dessert. It was scrumptious.
I love eating dessert for breakfast the next morning though (I'm obviously a super health freak!) and Tiramisu is my absolute favorite breakfast dessert but I forgot to take a slice home last night :( I had to settle for real food instead. *sigh*
I got the Tiramisu recipe I use from allrecipes.com but I made some minor adjustments. I doubled the coffee and rum and, just for my wallet's sake, I used ricotta rather than mascarpone cheese. It still tastes amazing and a little extra rum never hurts! :P
Here is my version of the recipe:
6 egg yolks
3/4 cup white sugar
2/3 cup milk
1 package ricotta cheese
1 1/4 cups heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup strong brewed coffee, room temperature
4 tablespoons rum
2 (3 ounce) packages ladyfinger cookies
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together egg yolks and sugar until well blended.
- Whisk in milk and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture boils. Boil gently for 1 minute, remove from heat and allow to cool slightly. Cover tightly and chill in refrigerator 1 hour.
- In a medium bowl, beat cream with vanilla until stiff peaks form.
- Whisk mascarpone into yolk mixture until smooth.
- Trim half of lady fingers lengthwise for uniform height and line up around inner wall of 10 inch springform pan. (optional)
- In a small bowl or cup, combine coffee and rum. Split remaining ladyfingers in half lengthwise and drizzle with coffee mixture.
- Arrange half of soaked ladyfingers in bottom of pan.
- Spread half of mascarpone mixture over ladyfingers, then half of whipped cream over that. Repeat layers and sprinkle with cocoa.
- Cover and refrigerate 4 to 6 hours, until set. (I like to make it a day ahead to really let the flavours blend)