Saturday, June 9, 2012

TGIDN: Golden Sweet Cornbread

Last night Nikita made cornbread for dessert. I had never had it before, as far as I can remember (or at least I haven't in quite a while), and it was really good. She served it all on it's own, I thought maybe it would be good drizzled with (real) maple syrup or something though. Anyway, we liked it enough that we finished the whole pan between the 3 of us, so I am certainly not complaining :)  Writing this post right now is actually making me crave more!!!

I did not take a picture of it so I had to use one from the Internet, but this is pretty much what it looked like!




1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
2/3 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 egg
1 cup milk
1/3 cup vegetable oil


  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
  2. Spray or lightly grease a 9 inch round cake pan. 
  3. In a large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt and baking powder.
  4. Stir in egg, milk and vegetable oil until well combined.
  5. Pour batter into prepared pan.               
  6. Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.


I went over to the barn for night check and one of the boarders, Amelia, mentioned that she loved cornbread made with bacon grease (I assume you would replace the oil). Since I am a vegetarian I won't be able to give you a review on that, but if I remember the taste of bacon correctly, and I think I do, that would be delicious. I told Nikita about that and she seemed to love the idea, I have a feeling she is going to test that theory. Give it a go and let me know what you think!

We also chilled out and watched Abduction starring Taylor Lautner. I didn't think that movie was the most realistic film I ever watched, or that the acting was 100% believable.... but I will watch just about anything featuring that guy. What other possible reason is there to watch those ridiculous Twilight movies?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment