Saturday, June 23, 2012

TGIDN: Lemon and White Chocolate Pots de Creme

Nikita and I both love cooking shows. Unfortunately, I don't have cable or anything and the only ones I ever get to watch are Best Recipes Ever with Kary Osmond (which I love) and In the Kitchen with Stefano Faita (which I only watch on occasion) because they are on CBC and you don't need anything special to pick that channel up. I'm not complaining, I haven't had cable in about 5 years and I like it this way because if I did I might just spend all day in front of the TV and never accomplish anything productive.

I am letting you all in on this info, because Nikita picked this weeks recipe from one of the shows she likes on The Food Network called Giada at Home and was totally surprised that I don't know who any of the chefs on that network are. She made an excellent choice though. That cheesecake I made a while back is still the best cheesecake I ever had but this dessert definitely gave it a run for it's money as the best dessert we have ever had. It was absolutely delicious! I am definitely going to be reusing this recipe:





2 (3 1/2-ounce) bars white chocolate chopped into 1/4-inch pieces
(we used white chocolate chips)
3/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup whole milk
4 egg yolks
1 tablespoon sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest
Pinch fine sea salt
1/2 cup fresh raspberries

Special equipment: 4 (4-ounce) ramekins or custard cups

  1. Put an oven rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
  2. Put the white chocolate in a medium bowl. Set aside.
  3. In a small saucepan, over low heat, add the cream and milk and heat until hot but not boiling.
  4. Pour the cream mixture over the chocolate and stir until smooth.
  5. In another medium bowl, whisk the egg yolks, sugar, lemon zest, and salt together until smooth.
  6. Slowly whisk the cream mixture into the egg mixture until smooth.
  7. Ladle the custard into 4 (4-ounce) ramekins or custard cups. Arrange the ramekins in an 8 by 8-inch square baking dish. Pour enough hot water in the baking dish to come halfway up the sides of the ramekins.
  8. Bake for 30 minutes until the custard is almost set and still slightly soft in the center (custard will set as it cools).
  9. Let the ramekins cool for 30 minutes in the baking dish. (oops, forgot this step!)
  10. Remove the ramekins from the water and refrigerate for 3 hours or up to 1 day.
  11. Garnish with fresh raspberries and serve.


We were in a bit of a time crunch (at about 6:30 we realised the dessert was supposed to chill for 3 hours and we hadn't even started it yet) so I didn't take any pictures during the process. It was really simple to make and definitely WORTH TRYING AT HOME though. We love us some dessert and even though we made 3 servings of this rather than the 4 servings the recipe suggests, we all wished the servings were even bigger!!




I also wanted to share this deliciousness that I found on a food blog called Closet Cooking, a quinoa and blueberry parfait! I saw this post and immediately made one, and it was delectable and totally nutritious. If you are into this kind of thing, you should give it a try!





No comments:

Post a Comment