Saturday, June 2, 2012

TGIDN: Rhubarb Pudding Cake

This week I was not at the farm for dessert night as Nikita and Chris are in Aruba (lucky ducks!!!). I had my sister over to my place instead and we enjoyed hanging out, eating a delicious treat and watching a movie.

Earlier this week, Cathy, who looks after the hens at the farm (and so much more) gave me some rhubarb from her garden so I obviously had to incorporate that into the dessert. I was thinking of making the obvious (strawberry rhubarb pie) but thought that since I would be enjoying this with my sis I would attempt a sentimental throwback to our childhood. I will attempt the pie at some point though!

We were always baking SOMETHING growing up, hence my love for dessert to this day, and one of our favorite things to make were pudding cakes (although these were always from a box, we never attempted one from scratch). I came across a Rhubarb Pudding Cake recipe while I was surfing the web for something to make this week and decided to give it a go. I don't know why I never tried one of these before, they are a lot easier than I thought! Similar to making an apple crumble (which I have made plenty of times, but that recipe will have to wait for apple season!)





3 cups diced fresh or frozen rhubarb

1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup milk
3 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch

1 cup boiling water

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon


 
  1. Place rhubarb in a greased 8-in. square baking pan. --  I used a spring form pan, in lieu of other options (I keep leaving my pans everywhere!), obviously I would not suggest this as most are not watertight (since the seal loosens over time) and some liquid will leak out!
  2. In a small bowl, mix flour, sugar, milk, butter, baking powder, salt and vanilla (mixture will be stiff). Spread over rhubarb.
  3. For topping, combine sugar and cornstarch. Sprinkle over dough.
  4. Pour water over all; do not stir.
  5. Sprinkle cinnamon on top.
  6. Bake at 350 degrees F for 55-65 minutes.






No comments:

Post a Comment