Here is the recipe we followed from Canadian Living:
8 8sheets phyllo pastry
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
2 tsp icing sugar(10 mL)
4 tart apples, peeled and finely chopped
2/3 cup (150 mL) dried cherries or dried cranberries (we used fresh cherries instead)
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
3 tbsp all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp cinnamon
- In bowl, toss together apples, cherries, brown sugar, flour and cinnamon; set aside.
- Arrange 1 sheet of the phyllo on work surface, keeping remaining phyllo covered with damp towel to prevent drying out. Brush lightly with butter (and sprinkle with brown sugar!!). Top with second sheet; brush lightly with butter (and sprinkle with brown sugar!!). <----we repeated this so that we used 4 to 6 sheets instead of only 2.
- Spread one-quarter of the filling in strip along closest long edge of phyllo, leaving 1/2-inch (1 cm) border at each end. Fold ends over and roll up firmly jelly roll-style; brush lightly with butter.
- Repeat with remaining ingredients to make 3 more rolls. .
- Bake in bottom third of 425°F (220°C) oven for 15 minutes.
- Reduce temperature to 375°F (190°C) and bake for 50 minutes longer or until golden brown and crisp.
- Sprinkle with icing sugar and cinnamon. Serve warm. (oops, we forgot this part)
|The final product, the darker one on the end has the brown sugar layers|
|Apple Cherry Strudel|
|Cherry Strudel with brown sugar layers|