Sunday, July 22, 2012

TGIDN: Brown Sugar Chewies (etc)

So I am late writing this post, I know, but I what can I say? I had a lazy day yesterday, I just couldn't be bothered to do much at all. I did do some chores around the house but not enough to make a dent in my ever expanding to-do list.

I also got to go out last night and had a great time with my brother Daniel and my cousin Taylor. Tay works for Save the Children and is spending 6 weeks in Kenya this summer leading groups for high school aged kids. They spend their time there helping to build schools, getting to know the communities they are working in, going on safari, and learning about a different way of life. It sounds like a pretty interesting position to me. He is back home for a couple weeks between trips so we took advantage of the opportunity to hang out and get some drinks.

This is from the last time Tay travelled to Kenya back in March


Since it is my birthday today (hurray for more grey hair!), at midnight the boys insisted on buying me a drink. They were suggesting things like Irish Car Bomb and Prairie Fire; the server advised me that those were not enjoyable drinks (I had no idea what they were) so I had a Raspberry Lemontini as she suggested and it was SO good. I have got to try that recipe!

This morning Ryan and I stopped by Pane Fresco to pick up some croissants and cupcakes before heading over to my sister Erin's place since it's her birthday too (hurray for biological best friends!). We had a yummy breakfast and ate way too much. Thanks Erin :)

Its been a good 24 hours for me. Now to actually get some work done. Ryan has headed off to work for the evening so I am taking the opportunity to catch up on my blogging, editing some pictures and hopefully getting the house back into a manageable condition since I have been a giant slacker lately.

Anyway, since this post is SUPPOSED to be about dessert night, here is what we had:





1/4 cup butter
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1 egg, beaten
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup chopped pecans
Confectioners' sugar, for dusting


  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Spray an 8-inch square pan with vegetable oil cooking spray.
  3. In a small saucepan, melt the butter.
  4. Turn off the heat, add the brown sugar and stir until smooth.
  5. Stir in the egg.
  6. Stir together the flour and baking powder and stir into the brown sugar mixture.
  7. Stir in the vanilla and pecans.
  8. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 20 minutes.
  9. When cool, dust the top with a sifting of confectioners' sugar.

These were super simple to make and, while they were far from being a decadent dessert you would serve at a dinner party, they definitely hit the spot. The best way I can describe them is like a brownie without the chocolate. Nikita and I polished off 90% of them before Chris even got a taste. If you are craving sugar and want a quick and easy recipe that kids and adults alike will love give this one a go. They reminded me of the brownies my Gramma always made when we were growing up and brought back happy memories :)

No comments:

Post a Comment