I had never made bread pudding before but it was really simple and turned out quite well - in my opinion that is. The flavours are not at all overpowering, which some people may not be into but I definitely prefer subtlety to heavy flavours. We were guessing on the amount of peach to put in since we couldn't be bothered with measuring so we just cut up two peaches and that was the only thing we both agreed that there needed to be more of.
1 lb French crusty bread
2 cups diced fresh, canned or frozen peaches
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
4 cups Milk
2 tsp (10 ml) vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 °F (180 °C).
- Butter a 13 x 9-inch (33 x 23 cm) glass baking dish.
- Cut bread into 1-inch (2.5 cm) cubes (you should have 10 to 12 cups/2.5 to 3 L); spread in baking dish.
- Add peaches and toss gently to combine.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, sugar, flour and cinnamon.
- Whisk in milk and vanilla and pour over the bread and peaches.
- Press bread down gently with a spatula to coat in liquid.
- Let stand at room temperature for about 10 min or until bread is soaked through.
- Bake for about 55 min or until puffed, golden and a knife inserted in centre comes out clean.
- Serve hot or warm.
As we were starting to make the pudding we realised we were short three eggs. So like most
people in need of eggs, we naturally headed out to the chicken coop to collect some more! :P